Pages

12.28.2010

'Anne' with an 'e'

Picking up a book you haven't read in years is like running into an old friend.  Yesterday I began reading "Anne of Green Gables" for the first time since I was eleven.  Tonight I am the only person awake in the house, settled down on the couch with a blanket and Anne.

When I grow up, I want to be Anne.  Although she is impetuous and finds herself in more trouble than any nice girl ought to, she is smart and kind and she appreciates the world around her more deeply than most.  I think I see a little Anne in myself, but mostly in the slate-breaking, temper losing aspects.

I love that I already know how the story ends, because every time she refuses to look at Gilbert or acknowledge his existence, I know that someday she will love him and it makes me giggle.

I miss the days that life was simple enough that I could stay up to finish a book anytime I wanted.  I am grateful that Christmas break has afforded me the opportunity to reacquaint myself with Anne Shirley, the feisty red-head who wishes she were called Cordelia.

2 comments:

  1. I love Anne. I started reading this book during the break too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I watched Anne of Green Gables on the 28th. I'm pretty sure Gilbert Blithe was my first love ;)

    ReplyDelete