Pages

10.12.2009

Trip North: Monday

On Monday we left around 7:00 a.m. for the north of England. I slept for most of the ride. It was surprising to wake up and be surrounded by scenery so different to London. Northern England is AMAZING! I have never seen countryside like it before. There are amazing rolling hills dotted with sheep and rock walls that are hundreds of years old. The walls are made without mortar, so I can’t quite figure out how they don’t just fall apart. I guess whatever their method is, it’s working.

On Monday afternoon we went to Haworth to visit the home the Bronte sisters lived in. The house is a museum filled with their belongings and examples of their writings and art. I also spent a little bit of time walking through the village. It was such a cute little town, as were most of the small towns we visited. I loved it.


Monday evening we arrived in York. We went to Yorkminster right off, and then spent some time wandering through the city. We walked down a street called the Shambles that dated back to medieval times and still retained its original architecture. It was really cool.


Monday night I stayed in my first ever hostel. It was a new experience, but not a bad one. The directors of the London Centre did a good job finding us hostels that weren’t too sketchy.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that Cathedral is lovely. Hope you are well (of course you are, you are in London)! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete