Pages

7.06.2011

If You're Reading This, It's Your Lucky Day

As you are all probably aware {unless you live under a rock, or this is your first time reading my blog} I lived in London for a semester a couple of years ago.  Best. Semester. Ever.  Everything about London was {is} amazing, and I'm slightly infatuated.

One of my favorite discoveries in London was actually not remotely British, but I treasure it nonetheless.  It's called 'Amish Oatmeal' {see--Amish.  That makes it American....}

Upon arriving back in America, I soon discovered what people mean when they say 'jet-lag.'  I woke up at 3:00 in the morning for my first four or five days home.  I passed the time until my family woke up by watching Glee episodes {before it got so horribly dirty.  that was not an endorsement, and if you watch an episode and it's terrible and smutty and scandalous, don't judge me.} and making elaborate breakfasts.  The first morning I made Amish oatmeal.  I found a few recipes online that seemed promising and gave the Taste of Home recipe a try.

It was a bit of a disappointment...too crumbly, too crispy, and the eggs did something weird and separated from the rest of the mixture.  My family was not nearly as awe-inspired as they should have been.

In the last two years I have made the recipe several more times, each time making adjustments and taking notes.  As of tonight when I made it for dinner, I think it's just right.  Because I love my faithful blog readers {all 3 of you} I am going to share with you said recipe.  If Prince Charming does ever decide to make an appearance, I will most definitely be feeding this to his children on Christmas mornings.  That's how much I love it.

Served with fresh peaches.  Also, please note my fine china :)


Melissa's Amish Oatmeal

3 c. rolled oats, divided
1/4 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract

Blend 2 cups of oats in the blender to make oat flour.  Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.  Spread mixture evenly in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.  Bake for 25 minutes at 350*.  Serve warm topped with fresh fruit, brown sugar and cream, milk or half & half.  Hear the angels singing the 'Hallelujah Chorus.'

But really, this is one of my favorite things to eat in the whole world.  Please try it.  Feed it to your children.  Change the world one satisfied mouth at a time.  And if you do try it, let me know how it goes for you.

8 comments:

  1. BEST DINNER OF MY LIFE!!
    Thanks SO much!!!
    It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh...I'll have to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try it...just for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very similar to a recipe for baked oatmeal that I make and LOVE. I love it warm. I love it cold. I love it with apples and blueberries. But my question is why do you have to turn 2 cups of the oatmeal into oat flour?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! I will definitely try this and let you know how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Would you look at that; more than three faithful readers! (I thought it was just me and Joddi.) I love this stuff, but I even liked it when it was still a work in progress. If I still had little kids, I would feed it to them, too. I will feed it to your little kids someday.

    xoxox,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aunt Elaine,

    I find that it is too crumbly if I just leave all the oats whole. Blending them makes it a bit more cake-like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Melissa, I would just like to tell you that you are totally right. We just made this today (we finally got to "oats" on our food storage list :P) and, yes, it did change my life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete