Pages

9.11.2009

Southall

Southall is a borough of London that is populated mostly with people from India. When we first arrived in Southall we went to the Sikh Gurdwara, or temple, and spent some time in there. We had the opportunity to take part in the meal that is always available at any Sikh temple free of charge. After eating I took the opportunity to help wash some dishes in the kitchen as a return service. We spent some time with a Sikh man who explained the fundamentals of their religion and answered our questions. It was really amazing to me how much my religious beliefs parallel those of the Sikh people. Before visiting the temple I knew almost nothing about this religion, and although I still know relatively little, I appreciate the understanding I gained.


In Southall we also visited two Hindu temples. I got a henna tattoo, which I was really excited about…I always wanted one of those. I felt a little weird when I went to church with it two days later though… That night for dinner we ate at an Indian restaurant. I found out that Indian food isn’t my favorite, but it’s not so bad.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the fun updates! Keep them coming. I love hearing all the things you are doing and seeing and learning. Glad that tattoo isn't permanent, though! Have fun!

    xoxox,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete