Pages

9.15.2011

When Life Hands You Tomatoes

As soon as I hit 'publish' at the end of this post, I fully intend to turn off the computer, breathe an enormous sigh of relief that I survived the day, and fall straight into bed.  It's just been one of those days, you know?

I spent over eight hours between yesterday and today doing an experiment in my lab called a 'Western blot.'  I know that doesn't mean anything to anyone.  Before your eyes glaze over, I will say this much: the point of a Western blot is to separate different proteins by their sizes.  It's a long and detail-filled process.  It requires a lot of precision and exact timing.  And it was the first one I'd ever done by myself (after having only watched someone else once.)  The blot I did was for someone else's thesis.  She's been having a really hard time getting data to write her thesis, and the tissue I was using for this blot was kinda important.  So no pressure for my first solo, right?

These are what Western blots are supposed to look like after you develop them:



And this is what the film I developed today looked like:


Hmmmm....one of these things is not like the other? Just for kicks, lets get a close-up of that top one especially:


And that, my friends, is what an epic fail looks like. No lanes. No bands. Just large, nebulous blobs of nothing. Definitely no protein of interest.  Remember in my last post when I said my enormous ego would be back to normal after a few failed experiments?  Actually, it only took one.  Consider my bubble burst.

So I did what any self-respecting failure of a scientist would do.  I moped.  And then I cooked.  Because when life hands you tomatoes, make tomato soup.  With basil.  And use this recipe.






I also baked chocolate chips cookies. Baking cookies always makes me feel better.

That, and knowing that pretty much everyone who matters in my life has no idea what a Western blot even is, regardless of how much I try to explain it. So in the grand scheme of things, whether or not I'm good at it probably doesn't even matter :)

{Except it might matter for the next two years while I'm trying to gather data to write a thesis, but other than that....nope.}

10 comments:

  1. Hey Melissa--I've actually heard of Western blots before, and proofread papers about them! Not that I really know what they are, mind you! But, your tomato soup looked awesome! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better luck next time! Do you know what went wrong? Just think how irritated everyone else in the lab would be if the new girl nailed it on her first try. The dinner looks fabulous! How did it taste? Do you need to add the recipe to the family cookbook?
    xoxox,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you even if your Western blots look more like Western blobs, and I'd help you bake a bazillion chocolate chip cookies if I could! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,
    I hope that you didn't really mean what you said about no one that really matters in your life even knows what western blots are - beacuase David has done thousands of them over the course of his career as a researcher, and because of that I even know what they are!!! Anyway, if you need some help, he is an expert! Hang in there - we love ya!
    Aunt Becky
    P.S. the soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the Western Blot mess! I must say though that the soup looks super yummy! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry that I am the beneficiary of all of your bad days, but that soup was sooo good. As were the cookies. I had lots. Of both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Caitlin--I love you just the same whether your blots came out good or bad. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Western blots huh... Well I've done maybe 100's - not thousands. So did you use powdered milk? (to block the gel - not in the soup...)
    See ya,
    Uncle Davy Crocodile

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep we sure do use powdered milk to block! I thought that was pretty funny when I found out....but it makes sense. I have to do another blot on Monday and I'm hoping it works a little better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ummm this made me really happy. i shall be your nerd blog friend.

    ReplyDelete