Pages

8.26.2011

Life is Good

Have you ever just had that feeling that you're exactly where you belong?

This afternoon I left the Dean's Office for the last time {as an employee.}  I took my nameplate and name tag and said my goodbyes.  It was sad, to be sure.  They've been so good to me there.  I've been a secretary for around three and a half years now, so it was hard to walk away.

I walked out of the Dean's Office and into the Life Sciences building {arguably the ugliest place on campus.}  As I walked down the hideous hall, I reflected on the direction my life was headed: two years of long nights and early mornings in this building.  Successes and failures.  My own research.  Although Suzy will be shocked to hear this, it intimidates the heck out of me.  I met with the two professors that I am considering as graduate advisers to discuss doing rotations in their labs until I make my choice. I talked with both of them for around half an hour. 

And it was so good.

I am where I belong.  Talking with a Ph.D. about obesity and metabolism and pathology and Western blots and protein interactions and lab safety and being a first author and writing a thesis is where I belong.  It really is.

The Widtsoe Building may be beastly, but today it felt like home.  And I cannot wait for school to start on Monday.

{To Claire: in the part of this post about the Dean's Office, I considered sticking the sweet facebook glasses picture.  I resisted because your friendship means that much to me.  You're welcome.}

2 comments:

  1. And I thank you for that. Although, I would have forgiven you...

    ...P.S. Dr. Pope felt really bad that he didn't get to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete