Pages

6.14.2011

{Insert Witty Title Here}

Abraham Lincoln said "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."  I've always believed that.  Lately I haven't been doing a very good job of making up my mind to be happy.  I've been letting things outside my control affect the way I feel.  That, in turn, has been frustrating me.  I like to feel like I'm in the driver's seat of my life, and I hate the idea that someone or something other than myself has the power to dictate my mood.

So today at lunch I made up my mind to be happy.  I have every reason in the world to be cheerful, and it's selfish to wallow.  I really think that's the bottom line.


When I'm sad or angry or discouraged, my dad always tells me to count my blessings.  Without further ado:

*I have a wonderful family.  I really can't express how much they mean to me.

*I have a bachelor's degree from a respected university, and I'm getting paid to start my master's degree in the fall.

*I love my field of study.  LOVE it.

*I have a good job where the people are friendly and understanding.  They are so good to me here.

*I have amazingly wonderful friends.  The girls I live with now... The girls I lived with before... {And the friends that aren't girls too...}  All great people.


*I have an apartment that keeps me dry when it rains, warm when it's cold, and cool when it's hot.  Yes, the carpet is ugly.  Yes, the dishwasher falls out of the cabinet when you open the door.  Yes, it's not the most deluxe of residences.  But a roof is a roof, and lots of people don't have one.

*I have a car to go wherever I want, whenever I want (Case in point: I ran away to Idaho last week.  That decision was made about 30 minutes in advance.)

*I live in America.

*I know that I have a Heavenly Father that loves me.

*I am getting a manicure tomorrow.  For only $2.  Woot!

*I have a healthy, functional body that puts up with a lot of abuse from me (*ahem*waytoomuchjunkfood*ahem*), but is a remarkably good sport about it.

*Once I lived here.  It was an incredibly opportunity.


Overall my life is really great.  No questions asked.  Which is why my pity party is officially over.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this post, Melissa. Thanks for the reminder that we can (and should) make up our mind to be happy. I needed that. :) Wish I could make it for the manicures. Have a lovely time with Sandee! Hope to see you in a couple of weeks! I have your Jr. Miss DVD and some cute shoes to give you. <3

    ReplyDelete