Pages

3.10.2011

A Few Thoughts

Today is a beautiful day.  I'm so glad spring is on the horizon.  When I walked into work today there was a large arrangement of fresh flowers on my desk.  They aren't actually for me...they are for a lecture my office is sponsoring tonight, but they're beautiful just the same.  I love fresh flowers.  I'm very glad that I work where I do.  The people are friendly.  The hours are good.  There is an abundance of free food.  All around, it's just a good arrangement.

Today I got a paper handed back that was graded by three different people independently.  Two of the graders were the TAs for the class. One of the grades was a peer review.  Looking at the way they dissected my paper is making me laugh.  For example:  in the area 'Writing' (The writing is technically sound: grammar, spelling and punctuation are correct) I was given the highest point value by one grader, the exact middle point value by the second, and the lowest value by the third.  Didn't they all read the same paper?  Isn't the 'grammar and punctuation' category the most objective category when it comes to grading writing?  Makes me question the validity and authority of those handing out grades, you know?

I am going home this weekend for Junior Miss.  I love the Junior Miss program (hereafter referred to as Distinguished Young Women of America everywhere but on this blog....old habits die hard.)  When I graduate in 42 {!} days, I will officially be qualified to judge Junior Miss, which is something I would love to do.

A few days ago I made funnel cakes.  Some of my roommates didn't know what funnel cakes were?  I'm not sure where they've been all their lives.....  If anyone else is confused, this is a funnel cake:


You fill a funnel full of the batter and then swirl it into a pan of hot oil.  It's kinda like little doughnut worms or something. Although they taste much more delicious than 'doughnut worms' sounds.  I promise.

In other news:

*I got a haircut over the weekend.  I love haircuts.

*This picture made me feel a bit inspired.  It's called "Overheard on the Titanic":


What perspective, you know?

*The expiration date on the milk I bought yesterday was the date that Paul leaves Argentina.  That mean's it's close!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy spring is on the horizon as well. :) That's seriously crazy about the grades on your paper! Oh, and I loved that you described funnel cakes as "doughnut worms." :) Have a great time at home and at Jr. Miss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! I can't believe Junior Miss changed its name! Craziness. I actually think it's cool because it will downplay the pageant-connotation of the whole thing. But yeah, definitely still a big adjustment.

    ReplyDelete