Pages

10.04.2012

Odds and Ends

It's been a while.

In a nutshell...
New apartment. New ward. New calling.
Old lab. Old friends. Old job.

Regarding School...
I petitioned back in September to be made a PhD student instead of a Masters student. By opting not to finish my MS and jump straight to PhD, and by opting to stay at BYU instead of graduating and going elsewhere for my PhD, I save myself about 4 years. Seemed like a pretty obvious choice to me.

I have been unofficially accepted.... (aka: all the faculty in my department congratulated me and welcomed me aboard as a doctoral candidate, but I'm still waiting on the actual acceptance letter from the university...)

Regarding Research...
The microscope images I spent 9 months on finally worked out. It was a beautiful moment.

Mouse myotubes (C2C12); Mitochondrial staining with MitoTracker Red

A paper I authored was accepted for publication. I will be presenting said paper at a conference next week.

I was introduced to this little gem in a class today, and decided to share it in honor of all the qPCR (quantitative polymerase chain reaction) I've done this week:



So now you all know the truth. That's how I spend my time....

Regarding Everything Else...
I'm going home this weekend to see Andrakay, who will be in town for the Distinguished Young Women of Idaho program in which her younger sister is participating. I haven't seen her since she got married last August, so I'm very excited for that :)

I'm also excited to watch General Conference with my family this weekend! I hope wherever you are, you get a chance to watch/listen/read too!

4 comments:

  1. (1) love the PCR song
    (2) congrats on joining the PhD ranks! :)
    (3) glad we're blog friends now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously Melissa, I am so impressed! Congratulations on transitioning into the PhD program!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to hear things are going well! Keep us posted on how the presentation of your paper goes this week. I'll be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just blog-stalking you and saw that you mentioned me in this post. I miss you. That is all.

    Oh wait, no it's not. Funny story. So I am giving a talk at DYW a couple weeks ago about being studious. I was talking about colleges and scholarships and important things like that. In the course of this 30 minute talk I would estimate I said the word tuition approximately 15 times. I get to the questions at the end and a girl raises her hand and asks....I know you know where I am going with this.... "Andrakay, what's tuition?" You would have been proud of how I held it together. I did not laugh, cry, or even roll my eyes. The exceptionally depressing thing about this is the particular girl's parents actually went to college...a lot of it since her mom is a nurse and her dad is a chiropractor. Kids today.

    ReplyDelete