Pages

3.12.2012

Dear Guy in Endocrinology,

As the semester has progressed, it has become increasingly evident that you are an intellectual. How accomplished you must feel. As your fellow student, I am continually humbled by the breadth, depth and scope of your knowledge. I feel especially impressed when you correct the professor. He probably doesn't really understand endocrinology, despite his being a pioneer in the field. Your year of experience working in a pharmacy makes his 40+ years of science look pretty pathetic, if you ask me.

One of my favorite things is when you ask questions for the sole purpose of emphasizing your astounding intellect. You know the ones; they usually begin, "Dr. W____, given A, B and C, we must surely be able to conclude Y and Z. Isn't that correct?" On the rare occasion that he disagrees with your conclusions, I am glad that you spend our class time arguing with him. How dare he insinuate that your knowledge and critical thinking skills could be fallible? What does he think, that you're grasping at physiologic straws in an attempt to demonstrate your superiority to your peers? Oh the audacity. Who does he think he is anyway, the department chair?

But the very best part of associating with you is when you condescend to correct my physiology. I always feel so star-struck when you do that, so honored that you would even consider my blunders (numerous as they are) worth taking your precious time to correct. Like today, for instance. The magnanimous way that you set me straight as we discussed the etiology of type I diabetes was art. Pure art. Especially when one considers that just one semester ago, I was teaching you the basics of diabetes as your pathophysiology TA. I happily consider myself surpassed.

My hat is off to you, outspoken endocrinology guy. I cannot help but be secretly jealous of your awesomeness. I suspect you run into this secret jealousy often, and it's probably the reason you're the only unmarried male in the class.  Your receding hairline, smug self-assuredness and repellent personality probably have nothing to do with it.

Let me know when you cure cancer.

Sincerely,
Melissa

5 comments:

  1. Love love love love love love love :) I might replace a few key words in this and anonymously mail it to some fellow students in my classes... haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remind me to stay WAY OVER on your good side! Funny how people who think they know it all are so irritating to those of us who REALLY DO.
    xoxox,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! There were so many people in my major who were like that, too. They'd ask questions where they would just spout off a bunch of history facts and then add a "right?" at the end just so they could show everybody else how much they already knew about the topic we were studying. So annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My new favorite phrase from my "guy in endocrinology" from yesterday: "I assume we all know this this and this--" waits for the blank stares or for someone to say "what?" and then continues condescendingly, "well, what this and this means is" plus a ten minute long lecture... *groan*

    ReplyDelete