Pages

1.04.2011

My Last First Day

Well folks, this is it.  Today was my last first day of college.  I cannot wait to be finished, although I'm not really sure what my future has in store.  Sometimes that makes me nervous, but I suppose that I should not worry about things that I cannot control.

I am so, so, SO excited for my pathophysiology class this semester.  I just bought my book today and I have spent most of my evening perusing it.  It's so great!

(To clarify, pathophysiology is the study of diseases and how they affect the human body.)

At the beginning of class today, my professor quoted an address that Gordon B. Hinckley gave at BYU in 1992.   I found it very enlightening, encouraging, and validating.

"Have you ever contemplated the wonder of yourself, the eyes with which you see, the ears with which you hear, the voice with which you speak? No camera ever built can compare with the human eye. No method of communication ever devised can compare with the voice and the ear. No pump ever built will run as long or as efficiently as the human heart. What a remarkable thing each of us is. We can think by day and dream by night. We can speak and hear, smell and feel.

Look at your finger. The most skillful attempt to reproduce it mechanically has brought only a crude approximation. The next time you use your finger, look at it and sense the wonder of it. While sitting in Symphony Hall in Salt Lake listening to a concert, I was in a position to see the fingers of the performers in the orchestra. Whether playing the strings, the percussion instruments, the brass, the woodwinds--all involved the use of fingers. One does not have to use one's fingers to sing or whistle, but beyond that, there would be little of musical harmony without the deft action of trained fingers."

I really enjoyed the entire address actually, not just the part about bodies, though I am partial to them.  You can find the rest of it here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link. I love that talk, and probably everything else that wise man ever said. I'm excited for your last first day and your graduation. It is on my calendar and I am so proud of you! Way to go, babycakes!

    xoxox,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete