Pages

1.24.2011

Be on time? Check!

One of my Day Zero goals was to be on time to every class for three weeks.  This is something that I've really struggled with since coming to school.  I was raised by a mother who believes that if you aren't 15 minutes early,  you're late.  I think she views the fact that I didn't take this policy to heart as her greatest failure as a mother.  I felt guilty for not representing her well...but I guess not guilty enough because I didn't change.

So I made this goal: Be on time to every class.  And it sat on the Day Zero list unattempted for an entire semester.


Then I made a deal with a friend.  Every time I am late to school, work or church (for the record, I am not late to church...that is one area where my mom did succeed...) I owe him a quart of ice cream.  Effective for the entire semester.  Apparently that's what I needed.

We are now three weeks into the semester, and I have not been late to ANYTHING for the ENTIRE time.  So I am officially checking this goal off the list.

In my time of punctuality I have felt unexpectedly empowered.  I feel like I'm in more control of my life.  I also have lost that annoying nagging in the back of my mind, placed there purposefully by my mother, reminding me that it's rude to be late.

Mission accomplished.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that's not my GREATEST failure, but I am really proud of you for fixing it. It is rude.... Congratulations on your mission accomplished!

    xoxox,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete