Pages

5.02.2010

I am a Runner


I've always had admiration for people who are 'runners.'  I got running shoes for Christmas 2009 and I decided to give running a try.  In January I started running with Suzy every day.  And I hated it.  Suzy ran a half-marathon last October, and she was thinking about doing another one.  She asked me if I would train with her and run the half in August.  After much deliberation I decided that I could probably be in shape to run 13 miles by August, so I agreed.  Then she changed her mind; there was a half-marathon in Provo that she wanted to run.  It was in May.  And I had already agreed to run with her.  I was stuck.

For the last four months we have been training.  Suzy is a pretty good coach, and we did a good job of sticking to our running schedule, although sometimes running had to take a back seat to school or work.  Yesterday was the big event.  I was so nervous. The day was cloudy and chilly.  Right as the cannon shot signaled the beginning of the race it started to rain.  It rained pretty much the whole time, except for when it was snowing. 

Around mile 10 I was looking around at the people Suzy and I were running near and feeling so impressed by all of them.  Then I had the realization:  I am a runner.  Yesterday I ran 13.1 miles without stopping.  I didn't go fast--it took a little over two hours for me to finish the race.  But I ran the whole way.  That makes me a runner.  And I am so proud of myself.


Before...

Eating a power bar/trying not to freeze to death!

Starting...

Almost finished!

After!

With some family and friends that came to watch

5 comments:

  1. I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!! I hated to see the rain, and I almost cried when it started snowing, but you two did it and I couldn't be prouder! It was nice that Laura, Shauntelle and Celia came to cheer, along with the family. Good job, and bring on the next one. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Melissa and Suzy! What a big accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed. I mean, you ran THE WHOLE WAY! Wow. You inspire me. If you had always been a runner, it may not be as inspirational. You didn't used to like running, but then you set your mind to this, trained, and did it. . . . and I that inspires me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I'm super jealous. But mostly by jealous I mean, impressed. I admire you. I hate running, and I've been trying to jog since August and haven't gotten a whole lot better but its because no one's around to push me. You're a runner!! You can teach me next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl!!!! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete